To Meade County

Stone School House


      This stone building erected in the early part of 1886 still stands on the hill 13 miles south of Meade on Highway 23. In that early day the government wanted the land settled and would give the land to any who were willing to come this far west to live. German Lutherans were among those who accepted the offer and they decided on the land in what is now Odee Township.
 
      As soon as they were settled on their claims they thought of a church building and a school house. They decided to construct a one room building which could be used for church and school. This met their need for a time but when more settlers came it was necessary to build a church as the small school house was too crowded.
 
      They built a nice frame building in the valley along Crooked Creek and later built the parsonage. Years later a Lutheran Church was built in Meade and the one in the valley was torn down and the lumber was used to build the parish hall. The parsonage in the country is now the home of Mr. and Mrs. Gerd Meierdierks.
 
      Many families moved on farms in the school district and it was necessary to have a larger school house so one was built just east of the Stone School. The children who had attended Stone School and their parents still have fond memories of the literaries and other good times they had together even though crowded in the small room.
 
      Drinking water was hauled by the children or carried by pupils or teacher. Coal was hauled from Meade for the large stove which stood in the center of the little room. Stone School was kept in good repair by the capable and interested board members.
 
      Stone School patrons and pupils as well as people in adjoining districts were interested in literaries, so many pleasant evenings were spent together with adults and children presenting "pieces" and songs.
 
      School has not been held in the Stone School since 1914 but George Buck and many helpers recently repaired and redecorated this old landmark, so it stands as a reminder of the good days that have passed.
 
      The first term of school was in 1886. Officers were: Director W.C. Schmoker, Clerk Martin Buck, Treasurer Henry Wurdeman, County Superintendent N.B. Clark, Teacher Carrie Schmoker (Anchutz). Other teachers were: 1888 Carrie Campbell, 1889 W.E. Glass, 1890 Nellie G. Sencenich, 1891 Carrie Schmoker (Anchutz), 1892 Maggie Martin, 1896, Incidental teaching Claus Borger and John Cordes, 1896 Sallie Petefish, 1911 Nettie Deck, 1912 Mary Pennington, 1913 Marion Overton (Paden), 1914 Mayme Finkle (Lewis). School was held in the District several times afterward but it was in the new frame schoolhouse. Stop by sometime and see on Meade County's famous landmarks.
By Mayme Lewis
 
From
Pioneer Stories of Meade County
1985
Republished with the permission and cooperation of
The Meade County Historical Society
 
Meade County small diamond Kansas History

December 15, 2001 / John & Susan Howell / Wichita, Kansas / howell@kotn.org

Blue Skyways Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
  Kansas on the Net