Shawnee County Courthouse
County Seat: Topeka
· 169,871 (2000)
· 160,976 (1990)
· 53,727 (1900)
Area: 550 Square Miles
Standard Abbreviation: SN
Organized in 1855.
County seat Topeka.
Was carved out of what was, before the treaty
of 1854, Shawnee Indian lands--hence the name.
General H. J. Strickler, of Tecumseh, who was
a member of the council in 1855, and also of
the joint committee on Counties, claimed Shawnee
for the name of his county, a preference stoutly
contended for by the Reverend Thomas Johnson for
the county in which the legislature was sitting,
but the committee yielded to General Strickler,
and, without solicitation, complimented Mr. Johnson
by conferring his own name upon his county.
Map and text from History of Kansas,
Noble Prentis, (Winfield: E.P. Greer. 1899)
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Shawnee County
Year Elev Population Name ZIP
==== ==== ========== ================ =====
1080 1,121 Auburn 66402
900 Belmont 67068
990 Berryton 66409
1057 Cullen Village
1870 1025 Dover 66420
937 Grove 66846
1854 970 Highland Park
1015 Mathews Park
878 North Topeka
1025 Pauline 66619
1871 930 1,014 Rossville 66533
1868 911 1,358 Silver Lake 66539
1852 920 Tecumseh 66542
1030 Terra Heights
1854 1000 122,377 Topeka 66601*
1858 955 Wakarusa 66546
930 86 Willard
U.S. Census Bureau Quick Facts about Shawnee County
Special Places in Shawnee County
- The Kansas State Capitol in Topeka is a beautiful building well worth visiting. It was constructed over a period of 37 years, from 1866 to 1903.
- The Topeka Zoo at 635 S.W. Gage Blvd., is billed as "one of the nation's finest small zoos."
- The Topeka Computing Museum in downtown Topeka at the Jayhawk Theater is a hoot for computer people.
- Cedar Crest (at One S.W. Cedar Crest Road, Topeka, KS 66606) was built in 1929 and is home to the governors of Kansas. Tours, both public and private, are available--contact the tour director by letter or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rossville Community Library
407 Main Street / P. O. Box 618, Rossville, KS 66533
- Silver Lake Library
201 Railroad / P. O. Box 248, Silver Lake, KS 66539
- Topeka Genealogical Society (785) 233-5762
PO Box 4048, Topeka, KS 66604
2717 SE Indiana Ave., Topeka, KS 66605
- Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library (785) 580-4400
1515 W. Tenth Street, Topeka, KS 66604-1374
- Kansas State Library (Blue Skyways) (785) 296-3296
Third Floor, Statehouse, Topeka, KS 66612
- Brown vs Board of Education (785) 354-4273
National Historic Site
424 South Kansas Avenue Suite 220, Topeka - Temporary Address
- Combat Air Museum (785) 862-3303
Hanger 602, Forbes Field, Topeka, KS
Hours: 9:00-4:30 Mon-Sat & 10:00-4:30 Sun · Admission Fee
- Alice C. Sabatini Gallery (785) 580-4400
Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library, 1515 SW 10th Ave, Topeka, KS 66604-1374
Museum of History, Kansas State Historical Society
6425 S. W. Sixth, Topeka, KS
Presenting the state's history from prehistoric times to the present.
- Mulvane Art Museum, Washburn University, Topeka, KS
Hours: 10:00-7:00 Tue-Wed, 10:00-4:00 Thu-Fri, 1:00-4:00 Sat-Sun
- Museum of the Kansas National Guard
6700 S.W. Topeka Blvd, Bldg 301, Topeka, KS
(at the entrance to Forbes Field)
Hours: 10am - 4pm Tues.-Sat.; Sunday by appointment.
- Historic Ward-Meade Park & Botanical Gardens (785) 368-3888
124 N.W. Fillmore St., Topeka, KS
Six acres of living history
- The Heartland Orthodox Christian Museum 785-234-5993
523 SW Van Buren Street, Topeka, KS 66603
"...Telling the story of Greek, Lebanese, Russian, and Serbian immigrants in the heartland"
- The Great Overland Station 785 232-5533
701 N. Kansas Ave, Topeka, KS
PO Box 8792, Topeka, KS 66608
Grand opening Jun 12, 2004
Shawnee County School Systems
Colleges & Universities
More Data About Shawnee County
- Kansas County Profile Reports
Statistical data from The Institute for Policy and Social Research, the University of Kansas
Shawnee County Offices
For more about Shawnee County contact:
Last updated on
September 20, 2012
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.