Transcribed from History of Wyandotte County Kansas and its people ed. and comp. by Perl W. Morgan. Chicago, The Lewis publishing company, 1911. 2 v. front., illus., plates, ports., fold. map. 28 cm. [Vol. 2 contains biographical data. Paged continuously.] p. 876-878 transcribed by Brandi Hill and Heather Barnett, students from USD 508, Baxter Springs Middle School, Baxter Springs, Kansas, on May 7, 2001.


James A. Fulton

JAMES A. FULTON, M. D. - The recognized precedence gained by Dr. Fulton as one of the representative physicians and surgeons of Wyandotte county stands as the direct result of his own ability and efforts, and that he was dependent upon his own resources in fitting himself for his exacting profession he views as a benignant condition, since it gave him the greater appreciation of the advantages gained, a greater self reliance and a more insistent determination to reach the desired goal. The discipline also inured to his success in the practical work of his chosen calling, and he has built up in Kansas City one of the fine cities of his native commonwealth, a practice that is substantial and of essentially representative order, the while he stands exemplar of alert and loyal citizenship. He is now president of the board of education of his home city and along other lines he is exerting benignant influence in the furtherance of the social and material well being of the community.

Dr. Fulton was born at Nortonville, Jefferson county, Kansas, on the 25th of December, 1879, and is a son of Thomas H. and Ella G. (Hull) Fulton, the former of whom was born in Logan county, Ohio, on the 5th of November, 1841, and the latter of whom was born near Zanesville, Muskingum county, that state, in 1849. The doctor was the fifth in order of birth in a family of six sons and three daughters, all of whom are living. Thomas H. Fulton gained a liberal education, the more advanced portion of which was secured in the University of Allegheny, Pennsylvania. He continued to reside in the state of Ohio until 1870, when he came to Kansas and numbered himself among its pioneers. He first located at Fort Leavenworth, and he was a successful and popular teacher in the local schools for several years thereafter. He then removed to Nortonville, Kansas, and assumed a sub-contract in connection with the building of the Leavenworth, Kansas & Western Railroad. He also assisted in the construction of the line from Cottonwood Falls to Newton, this state, and later he was a contractor in the construction of the line of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. After the completion of his work in this connection he engaged in farming in Jefferson county, where he became a member of the fine Ohio colony and where he developed one of the valuable agricultural tracts of that favored section of the Sunflower state. Prosperity attended his efforts and he continued to be actively identified with the great basic industry of agriculture until 1910, when he retired from active labors. He and his wife now maintain their home at Winchester, Kansas, and their names merit enduring place on the roster of the honored pioneers of Kansas. They are zealous members of the Covenant church and in politics the father is aligned as a stalwart supporter of the cause of the Republican party. He is a man of broad mentality and sterling character and has wielded much influence in the community that has so long represented his home.

Dr. James A. Fulton found his childhood and early youth compassed by the conditions and influences of the old homestead farm in Jefferson county and there he duly availed himself of the advantages of the public schools, the while he was contributing his quota to the work of the farm. He early gained experience in connection with the practical affairs of life, as he acted as newsboy and thus attained to the dignified status of wage earner while a mere boy. In the realization of his well defined ambition to fit himself for the medical profession he depended upon his own exertions, and by industry and frugality was enabled to procure the means to defray his necessary expenses. He finally entered the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Kansas City, now the medical department of the University of Kansas, and, with characteristic energy, he devoted himself to his technical studies until he had completed the prescribed course in this excellent institution, in which he was graduated as a member of the class of 1903 and from which he received his well earned degree of Doctor of Medicine. On the 29th of August of that year, after examination before the state board of medical examiners, he was duly registered and licensed as a practicing physician and surgeon. He forthwith engaged in the work of his profession in Kansas City, and here his ability and pleasing personality have gained to him a very satisfactory general practice, in connection with which he has done effective specializing in the treatment of the diseases of children. He is a close student and keeps in the closest of touch with the advances made in both departments of his profession, so that he is at all times able to avail himself of the most approved agencies, facilities and methods. He is a member of the Wyandotte County Medical Society, the Kansas State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He is at the present time consulting physician to the Kansas City Orphans' Home of which institution he was attending physician and surgeon from May, 1903 until December, 1908.

Vigorous and progressive in his civic attitude, Dr. Fulton takes a lively interest in all that touches the welfare of his home city, and he served as secretary of its board of health from 1907 until June, 1910. He is now serving his second term as president of the board of education, of which he has been a valued member since 1905. The Doctor gives an unqualified allegiance to the cause of the Republican party and is affiliated with Kansas City Lodge, No. 440, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is a member of the Presbyterian church.

In June, 1905, Dr. Fulton was united in marriage to Miss Rosa K. Flack, who was born and reared in Kansas City, Kansas, and who is a daughter of Frederick and Rosa K. (Dengel) Flack, the former of whom was born at Leavenworth, this state, a member of one of the early pioneer families of Kansas, and the latter of whom was born in the state of Wisconsin; they now maintain their home in Kansas City, where the father is living retired, after having been for many years engaged in the grocery business in this city. Mrs. Fulton is the only child and she is a popular factor in the social activities of the city that has been her home from the time of her nativity. Dr. and Mrs. Fulton have two children, Ralph A., and Gladys DeLorn.



Biographical Index

Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

©2001 by Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project