County Seat: Dodge City
· 32,458 (2000)
· 27,463 (1990)
· 5,467 (1900)
Area: 1099 Square Miles
Standard Abbreviation: FO
|Organized in 1873. County Seat, Dodge City.
Named in honor of Colonel James H. Ford, of the Second Colorado
Cavalry, and Brevet Brigadier-General of the United States Volunteers.
Map and text from History of Kansas,
Noble Prentis, (Winfield: E.P. Greer. 1899)
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Ford County
Town Population ZIP Year Elevation
================= ========== ========= ==== =========
Bloom 67865 1885 2584
Bucklin 725 67834 2412
Dodge City 25,176 67801 1872 2550
Ford 314 67842 1885 2406
Fort Dodge 67843 2460
Kingsdown 67858 1887 2512
South Dodge 2480
Spearville 716 67876 2460
Wilroads Gardens 2445
Wright 67882 2539
Census Bureau Profile & Map
Special Places in Ford County
- There is a truly ornate Methodist church at Main & Maple in
Bucklin. While you're in town, check out the rock auditorium (1936).
- Just west of the small town of Howell, there is a roadside park
where you can walk in the great ruts of the Sante Fe trail. Howell
is just a grain elevator beside the tracks and a couple of homes.
- The "Boot Hill" area of Dodge City is fun and educational.
The store in the complex has a good selection of Kansas books.
- The Old Soldier's home at Fort Dodge has elaborate stone work;
it represents amazing patriotic pride and it is still in use.
- Boot Hill Museum (620) 227-8188
500 West Wyatt Earp Blvd (Front and Fifth streets) / Dodge City, KS 67801
Monday - Saturday 9:00AM - 5:00PM
Open year round; closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's - admission.
- Carnegie Center for the Arts 620-225-6388
701 Second, Dodge City, KS 67801
Tue.-Fri., noon-5pm; Sat. 11am-3pm; closed January - free
- Mueller-Schmidt House (1881) Museum 620-227-6791
(Ford County Historical Society)
112 E. Vine, Dodge City, KS 67801
- Kansas Teachers' Hall of Fame 620-225-7311
603 Fifth, Dodge City, KS 67801
Open Daily, Memorial weekend thru Labor Day - Free.
and the Gunfighters Wax Museum - in the Kansas Teacher's Hall of Fame.
Open Daily, Memorial weekend thru Labor Day - admission.
Ford County School Systems
Colleges & Universities
- Bucklin Banner (620) 826-3311
118 N. Main / P. O. Box 98 / Bucklin, KS 67834
- Dodge City Daily Globe (620) 225-4151
705 2nd Ave / Dodge City, KS 67801
- High Plains Journal (620) 227-7171
1500 E. Wyatt Earp Blvd / Dodge City, KS
- Spearville News (620) 385-2200
400 Main / Spearville, KS 67876
Other sites about Ford County
More Data About Ford County
Ford County Offices
For more about Ford County:
Last updated on
November 29, 2009
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.