Emelia Mueller-John Chambliss Wedding
June 12, 1889
[The only photograph in the FCHS archives of the Mueller family at
their house was taken on June 12, 1889, the wedding day of Emelia
Dodge City Times, June 13,
"Married in this city, at the residence
of the brides parents, Wednesday evening, June 12th, 1889. Mr. John
Hagaman Chambliss, ...to Miss E. Louise Mueller of Dodge City, Rev. J.M.
Wright, Pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiating.
"The ceremony was witnessed by...the
relatives of the respective families and a limited number of invited
personal friends who assembled...at the hour named-nine o'clock-when the
contracting parties were ushered into the spacious parlors, when two souls
with but a single thought were soon made to beat as one, the ceremony
though brief, was most beautiful and very impressive. The bride was most
handsomely attired in a white satin dress and ornaments, while the groom
wore conventional black. The wedded pair were surrounded and received the
hearty congratulations of the friends present after which an adjournment
was taken and all proceeded to the dining hall where a sumptuous repast
was awaiting them, where tables were found laden with many of the good
things of this life ...the tables were most beautifully decorated and
laden down with all the delicacies of the season.... Mr. Fred Berg
[Elizabeth Berg Schmidt's father and first baker in Dodge City], the
confectioner on this occasion, again exhibited his superior skill in the
art decorative as shown by the ornamentation of the bride's and groom's
cakes, which exhibited the work of a genius.
"As is usual on an occasion like this the
small boy [Henry Mueller?] was on hand and so were his tin horns and tin
cans, and the racket they made vividly recalled to mind of the writer an
old time chavirari [sic].
"The bride and groom as well as guests
assembled were honored by the members of the [Chalk Beeson's] silver
cornet band with a few of their choicest selections.... As the hour of
midnight was fast approaching the guests departed and the wedded pair were
escorted to the depot where they took the midnight train for Denver and
other mountain cities where they will spend their honeymoon, after which
they hope to spend a week ...with their friends at home when they will
depart for their future home, Fort Reno, I.T. [Indian Territory]. The
contracting parties have known each other nearly all their lives; they
were virtually raised together, schooled in the same school on the plains
of Western Kansas; and thus formed an early attachment and mutual regard
for each other. The bride is a cultured young lady, of unassuming
manners.... The groom ...was equally well and most favorably known to our
earlier settlers, who for the past seven years however has resided in
Rodney, Miss..... He is of southern birth being the son of Hiram and
Corina Chambliss, a...highly respected family of Louisiana. At the age of
nine his father died, then his mother with her three children took up
residence at St. Louis, Mo., with her father where she met and married her
present husband, Mr. A.J.
Anthony of this city where they reside. He [John] was schooled in the
public schools of this city..., he has returned to us after an absence of
seven years, and has claimed for his wedded wife, the little playmate and
school girl Emelia....
"May Heavens choicest blessing rest upon
them is the wish of the Times...."
The gifts ranged from silver fruit knives to a hand-painted frame, given by the best-known citizens of Dodge City -- a buffet cover from Mrs. Robert Wright (town president); one damask table cloth from Mrs. George Hoover (first Dodge City merchant); silver cake basket from Dr. and
Mrs. T.L. McCarty (first Dodge City doctor); a linen table cloth from Mrs. O. Print Olive; hand-painted
placque and plush frame from the Fred Singers; a wall pocket from Mrs.
D.M. Frost; a silver berry spoon and cake knife from Mrs. H.M. Beverly; a
gold top card receiver from Mr. and Mrs. Richard W. Evans; half a dozen silver
knives and forks from Mr. and Mrs. Geo. B. Cox; and a 'beautiful' work
basket from Emelia's Grandma Koch, among others. Many are on display in
the Mueller-Schmidt House (1881) Museum.
(Copyright 2002, Ford County Historical Society,