logo: Kansas Heritage Group

Ford County Historical Society
Dodge City, Kansas

[Photograph: Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, Windthorst, Kansas, in 2005 photograph.

Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish
Windthorst Church
Windthorst, Kansas


Constructed 1911 - 1913


[Photograph: The second Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, Windthorst, Kansas, in circa 1892 photograph.]The second Windthorst Parish Buildings (Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish) built in 1892. The building to the right of the church is the school, built in 1883 and the building on the left is probably the rectory built in 1890. The first Church was built in the Spring of 1879 and was blessed by Father Wolf on Easter Sunday. Father Ferdinand Wolf was a Benedictine priest who came to minister to the spiritual needs of Windthorst, May 21, 1878. He also took care of mission places, St. Jospeh's, eight miles North of Windthorst, Kinsley and Dodge. He celebrated his first mass May 22, 1878, in the Henry Tasset home.
(© 2006-2009 Ford County Historical Society, Inc.)

Return to Ford County Historical Society Index
or Kansas History or Old West Kansas
Also see: Dodge City, The Cowboy Capital; by Robert M. Wright, 1913