- El Barrio - Debbi Chocolate, illus by David Diaz
- Baseball on Mars/Béisbol en Marte - Rafael Rivera, Jr. and Tim Hoppey, illus by Christina Rodriguez
- Book Fiesta! Celebrate Children's Day/Book Day//Celebremos El día de los niños/El día de los libros - Pat Mora, illus by Rafael López
- Braids/Trencitas - Kathleen Contreras, illus by Margaret Lindmark
- Diego: Bigger Than Life - Carmen T. Bernier-Grand, illus by David Diaz
- The Dog Who Loved Tortillas/La perrita que le encantaban las tortillas - Benjamin Alire Sáenz, illus by Geronimo Garcia
- I Know the River Loves Me/Yo sé que el río me ama - Maya Christina Gonzalez, illus by the author
- My Abuelita - Tony Johnston, illus by Yuyi Morales
- No voy a dormir/I Am Not Going to Sleep - Christiane Gribel, illus by Orlando
- Once Around the Block/Una vuelta a la manzana - José Lozano, illus by the author
- Pelé, King of Soccer/El rey del fútbol - Monica Brown, illus by Rudy Gutiérrez
- René Has Two Last Names/René tiene dos apellidos - René Colato Laínez, illus by Fabiola Graullera Ramírez
- Sundays on Fourth Street/Los domingos en la calle Cuatro - Amy Costales, illus by Elaine Jerome
- Sunflowers/Girasoles - Gwendolyn Zepeda, illus by Alisha Ann Guadalupe Gambino
- Zulema and the Witch Owl/Zulema y la bruja lechuza - Xavier Garza, illus by the author
- Confetti Girl - Diana López
- Diego: Bigger Than Life - Carmen T. Bernier-Grand
- Leaving Glorytown: One Boy's Struggle Under Castro - Eduardo F. Calcines
- A Piñata in a Pine Tree: A Latino Twelve Days of Christmas - Pat Mora
- Return to Sender - Julia Alvarez
- The Triple Banana Split Boy/El niño goloso - Lucha Corpi
- Tropical Secrets: Holocaust Refugees in Cuba - Margarita Engle
- What Can You Do with a Paleta?/¿Qué puedes hacer con una paleta? - Carmen Tafolla
- Zulema and the Witch Owl/Zulema y la bruja lechuza - Xavier Garza
The Pura Belpré Award is presented by REFORMA and the Association for Library Services to Children (ALSC). The annual award recognizes excellence in the areas of literary merit and outstanding illustration in books for children and young adults by authors and illustrators who identify themselves as Latino.
The selection committee chair alternates between REFORMA and ALSC, and the committee consists of three members from each. Heartland REFORMA member Jean Hatfield from the Wichita Public Library served as the chair of the committee in 2007/08. She will lead a Mock Pura Belpré Award Session with attendees participating as the mock committee. Anyone interested in participating or observing is invited to attend.
Participants may attend all or part of the session and are encouraged to read as many books from the list at left as possible. For further information contact Jack Granath at firstname.lastname@example.org, (913) 596-5800 ext. 1022.
- 10:00 - Introductions & Consideration of Titles Nominated for Narrative Quality
- 11:45 - Break
- 12:00 - Consideration of Titles Nominated for Illustration
- 1:30 - Wrap Up
The session will be available through Wimba for those unable to attend in person. Selected text or illustrations from each title will be presented in PowerPoint to facilitate discussion. What you will need:
To get ready and login (Start this process at least 30 minutes before session time.):
- A headset with microphone (preferred) or speakers and a stand alone microphone
- An Internet connection
If you should have problems on the day of the event, please contact Earl Givens, State Library of Kansas, 785-296-8152 for support.
- Go to http://webj.wimba.com/launcher.cgi?room=ks_adastra.
- Minimize the pop-up box and click on "run the Setup Wizard" in the right hand box to get your compuer ready.
- After you click the "Finished" button, maximize the login pop-up window, or if it has closed, click on the orange "Participant Login" button and you should see "ks_adastra" as the room i.d.
- Enter your name in the "Name box" (first and last name, please) then click on the orange "Enter" button.
- It will take a minute or 2 to get into the room and get everything loaded. When you hear the tones, you are ready to go.