Aliceville Grain Elevator
Aliceville is in Coffey County just 4 miles east and 5 miles north of LeRoy. The town, though never incorporated, once had many businesses. Now Aliceville is a quiet, treed, community with some homes, a fine church and a very well maintained bank. Aliceville is on the Union Pacific Railroad on tracks formerly owned by the Missouri Pacific Railroad. In 1903 the town was heavily damaged by a tornado.
Farmers State Bank
The Farmers State Bank is located on the main corner of town. Established in 1908, the bank has an intact 19th century interior purchased used from a bank in Westphalia.
St John Lutheran Church is a lovely, white frame church that serves a congregation from towns at least as far away as LeRoy. The church sits a block off the highway south of downtown at the corner of 2nd and Kelly.
John David Hawes, a Missouri Pacific Railroad conductor, settled in this section of Kansas when it was still a frontier. Here, with his wife, Frances Melissa and his daughter, Alice, Hawes began to build a town beside the railroad which was constructed in 1879. He prospered in the hay business here and honored his small daughter, Alice, by naming the new town "Aliceville" after her when it was founded in 1882.
From: Empire That Missouri Pacific Serves
- Aliceville appears on a county map in the History of Kansas by Noble L. Prentis published in 1899.
- Genealogical Information for Coffey County is available on Blue Skyways.
|Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
|© Copyright 2000
John & Susan Howell