Arnold Union School District #1 was organized in 1918. The first schoolhouse was a one room frame building which housed 20 students. As the enrollment increased another building was moved in and joined to the south side of the existing building which provided a four room schoolhouse.
In 1919, Union District #1 provided a two year high school course. In 1920, as more students became interested, a four year high school course was arranged. The high school was first accredited for the year 1921-22 in Class D.
In the school's 42 year history, a total of 1311 students were enrolled for an average of 31 students per year. A total of 282 students were graduated from the Arnold High School.
In 1960, Arnold consolidated with Ransom, Brownell joined a year later, and established what is now Unified School District 302.
The building served USD #302 as an elementary school until 1969, then the building was vacated and sold leaving the once proud high school empty after 46 years. The building still stands, but the years of neglect are beginning to show.
School history from: History of Arnold High School 1918 - 1960 by Dale Haug
|Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
© Copyright 2000