Longton is located in southern Elk [EK] County between highway US-160 and the Elk River near where Hitchin Creek joins the Elk. A wagon bridge once spanned one of these creeks.
The oak covered hills around the town provide a beautiful site. The park and fairgrounds at the south end of town are still well used; take a walk through the woods down to the river and town dam.
HistoryLongton was originally named Elk Rapids but was renamed after a village in England to avoid confusion with nearby Elk Falls and Elk City. Herbert Capper, father of Arthur Capper, former governor, senator, and founder of Capper's Weekly, named the town and owned the first hardware store in Longton.
- The Capper family home still stands on Kansas Street near Brighton Hall.
The discovery of the Longton oil field in 1902 lead to a brief period of boom times for the town.
There's more about Longton's history in the 1912 book Kansas, A Cyclopedia Of State History by Frank W. Blackmar.
- The "Ozark Jamboree" on Thursday evenings in Longton is fun & free. Amateur singing and performance in Brighton Hall
- The Longton Free Fair every summer offers classic rural fair events: Food by a local group, exhibits of kids' projects and a rodeo.
- Each fall, the wolf hunters of Kansas hold their field trials in and around Longton. More dogs than you'll ever want to see unless you're a wolfhunter.
Places to visit in Longton
The United Methodist Church in Longton was built in 1891 at a cost of $1950; it's still in use.
The old stone jail in Longton is still standing at the foot of the water tower; walk up and look inside at the primitive facilities for "crooks". It cost $413 when it was built in 1905.
- North and east of town along country roads you can find the ruins of the old stone Hartford School dating from the 1880s.
Schools (See Longton's High School class of 1940.)USD 283 - Elk Valley Lions (620) 642-2215
P. O. Box 87, Longton, KS 67352
Shirley Powell, Library Director (620) 642-6012
501 Kansas / P. O. Box 163, Longton, KS 67352
DiningMacy's Cafe (620) 642-3911
417 S. Kansas Ave
Wigwam Bar & Grill (620) 642-6391
204 W. 2nd (Highway 160)
LodgingDiamond Cross Hunts (620) 374-2144
Rt #2, Box 47, Howard, KS 67349
Hunting lodge located south of Longton--hunting, fishing, wilderness walks, trail rides
Silver Bell Motel (620) 642-6145 Hwy US160, Longton, KS
Inexpensive and scrupulously clean; the stonework in the floors is amazing.
- See a list from the past.
- Prairie Star (620) 725-3176
P.O. Box 417 / Sedan, KS 67361
BankingBank of Longton (620) 642-2080 - Built in 1995
120 N. Kansas / P. O. Box 295, Longton, KS 67352
Shopping in Longton
- Longton Grocery (620) 642-3695
- Kirk's Mini Mart - Hwy US160
For more information about LongtonCity Clerk (620) 642-2225
City Hall, Longton, KS
Longton Economic Development Committee
P. O. Box 241, Longton, KS 67352
A service of the Kansas State Library
City of Longton, Kansas