Population: 256 (1990) 283 (1980)
Latitude: 37° 14' 55" N
Longitude: 98° 25' 13' W
Elevation: 1464 feet
School District: USD 254
ZIP code: 67138
Area Code: 620
Home of Martina McBride - our Sharon Rose
Located in eastern Barber [BA] County, Sharon lies between US-160 and a little-used railroad. St. Boniface Church (1949) and School (1958) are well-maintained but the parochial school is no longer open. The nearby public schools are down to three grades; the rest of the kids are bused into Medicine Lodge.
Wisner LibraryThe Wisner Library in downtown is in a beautiful old brick building. Inside, most of the books are kept in old glass-front wood cabinets.
- Carol's Liquor Store (620) 294-5444 / 115 S. Broadway
- The Picket Fence (620) 294-5200 / 103 S. Broadway
- The Peoples Bank (620) 294-5222 / 106 N. Broadway
- Wisner Library (620) 294-5472 / 100 S. Broadway
- City Hall (620) 294-5432 / 117 Broadway
- Genealogical Information for Barber County is available on Blue Skyways.
- Historical images of Sharon from the Special Collections at WSU's Ablah Library are available online.
- Sharon was mentioned in Kansas, A Cyclopedia Of State History by Frank W. Blackmar (1912).
- Sharon appears on a county map in the History of Kansas by Noble L. Prentis published in 1899.
|Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
© Copyright 1998