Population: 1335 (1994)
Elevation: 1909 feet
Latitude: 38° 0' 8" N
Longitude: 98° 45' 35" W
School District: USD 350
ZIP code: 67576
Area Code: 620
St. John is the county seat of
Stafford [SF] county.
Downtown St. John is adorned with a beautiful Victorian
square featuring a three tier fountain located in the
middle of the square park. An ornate block wall surrounds
the main square. The courthouse constructed in 1929 is at
the southeast corner with an angled facade facing the Square.
St. John is named for John P. St. John, a former Kansas
The Ida Long Goodman Memorial Library in St. John is a magnificent library serving as both a school and a public library. By combining the city and school district libraries it is able to offer big city hours, personal computers for public use and a modern building.
Many families find St. John's lifestyle and values of the type in which they wish to rear their children. The early settlers left a heritage here that is both stable and unique. St. John is located three miles north of the junction of highways 50 and 281, making larger cities easily accessible. The AT & SF railroad runs across Stafford county serving Zenith, Stafford, St. John and Macksville. The winding Rattlesnake and Wild Horse creeks still flow to the northeast, and the tremendous water level beneath the land keeps crops growing even in dry years. The local economy is based on ranching, farming and oil production. St. John, centered with its attractive square and fountain, is surrounded by fields of wheat, corn, milo, soybeans, garden crops, pine trees and large groves of shelter belts and timber claims.
St. John's big event each year is the St. John Jubilee which is celebrated Memorial Day weekend.
Many of the fore mentioned items were taken from No Cyclone Shall Destroy by Cole & Reuber. This book provides many insights into the history of St. John and may be found in the Ida Long Goodman Library.
City of St. John
Broadway & Fourth
P. O. Box 367 / St. John, KS 67576
|Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
© Copyright 1997